These potatoes are such a hit in my family! Just about every holiday I get asked to “make your special potatoes with that good cheese” – lol! They really are so good!
The secret (well actually there are two) is cooking the potatoes in cream and butter before you layer them in the dish. They absorb all the yummy flavors you add to the cream. The second secret is fresh nutmeg. Nutmeg adds richness and depth to savory dishes, I absolutely love it and would encourage you to invest in the whole nut (they stay fresh forever) and simply use a Microplane when you need to use your nutmeg.
And the bonus is if you choose to serve these out of these cute little cast iron skillets you get huge presentation points! Get ready for all the oooh’s and ahhh’s! 🙂
Gratin Potatoes with Gruyère Cheese
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Category: Side Dish
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed and sliced thin. I use this mandoline
- 3 cups cream or whole milk
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8–10 sprigs of fresh thyme – tied with string in a bundle
- 1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese – shredded
- 1 large sweet onion – thinly sliced
- Olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter – for sauteeing
- balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- In a large deep pot add the milk, garlic, thyme bundle, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, bring to a low simmer then add the potato slices. Season with more salt and pepper, stir gently trying to get the potatoes into the milk. Simmer about 10 minutes, the cream should thicken slightly. Note – taste the cream and potatoes, you may need to add more salt. Potatoes typically need plenty of salt to really bring out their flavor.
- While the potatoes are cooking sautee the onions. In a deep skillet heat a drizzle of olive oil and the butter, once hot add in the sliced onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are very soft and translucent. Remove from heat and stir in a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- If using mini serving dishes layer in the potato slices so they are layered leaning against each other, spoon some of the thickened cream over the potato slices. Then top with onions and shredded cheese. Bake at 350F (uncovered) for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- If using a 9×9 baking dish, spray with non-stick spray and place in the potatoes (I don’t try to layer them neatly b/c after you add the toppings you won’t see it) and spoon over some of the thickened cream (about halfway up the baking dish). Layer on the onions and cheese, bake for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Turn on the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
Keywords: Scalloped potatoes, gratin, Gruyere, cheese, side dish, savory, individual
Leave a Reply