WOAH! I had no idea when I made these for a party they would be such a huge hit! Everyone kept raving about how good they were and there wasn’t a single one left.
Now, there are a few steps involved with making these tasty treats but you can prep everything the day before then simply pop them in the oven about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve. I promise they are worth the little bit of extra work!
Cheese and Bacon Variations
- Not a fan of goat cheese, swap it out for feta, Boursin, blue or even cream cheese.
- Want something a little more lean than bacon, swap it out with turkey bacon. Prosciutto is also a great option and will crisp up nicely!
Bacon Wrapped Goat Cheese Dates
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 20 pieces 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 20 large dates – pitted
- 1 pack bacon – thin and cut in half
- 1 – 8oz loaf goat cheese
- 1 cup honey
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 20 toothpicks
- Start by making the rosemay honey. I recommend doing this step the day prior to using it. Remove rosemary leaves from the stem, chop fine and add to the honey. Stir then seal with a lid a save for later.
- Remove the pit from the date (skip their step if you purchased pitted dates) by making a slice down the side, open it up and easily remove the pit, discard. Repeat.
- Stuff the dates – I find the best way is to use your hands. I wear gloves, break off a piece of the goat cheese and stuff into the date. It doesn’t need to be jammed pack full. You should be able to seal the date back closed. Repeat for the remaining dates.
- Wrap in bacon – place the stuffed date onto the slice (just half) of back and roll-up. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the dates on a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven flip over the dates and drizzle with the rosemary honey. Return to the oven for another 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with or with out the toothpick. Just before serving I like to drizzle on additional honey.
Note – make sure the spoon you were using to drizzle the honey on the bacon did not come in contact with raw bacon.
Keywords: bacon, rosemary, honey, appetizer, goat cheese, dates
Leave a Reply