This is just like traditional ceviche but better! This is the adult version – add a little kick to your appetizer just be sure to give your guests a heads up!
Come to think of it, this would be a great appetizer for Cinco de Mayo or your next taco Tuesday! You might want to bookmark this one for later!
Tequila Shrimp Ceviche Lettuce Boats
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- 1 pound (large or jumbo) raw shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1/2 red onion – chopped very small
- 1 large lemon
- 1 orange – optional
- 5–8 limes (this depends on how juicy they are, I’ve had limes that produce hardly any juice so buy a few extra)
- 1 ripe avocado – diced
- 1 jalapeno – diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 – cucumber – diced (remove seeds if they are large)
- red pepper – diced – optional
- 2 oz tequila
- cilantro – a small handful, chopped
- 8–10 lettuce leaves
- In a medium plastic or glass mixing bowl place the shrimp. Note: I like to cut each shrimp into about 3-4 pieces (they “cook” quicker and I think it’s easier to eat on a chip), but you could leave them whole.
- Squeeze enough lime, lemon and orange juice to cover the shrimp. Note: you do not have to use all three citruses, but if you are only using one, go with the lime. Allow shrimp to sit in the citrus until they are no longer opaque or translucent. About 10-15 minutes.
- While the shrimp are cooking, chop all your veggies. I like to chop everything (except the avocado) pretty small so that when you take a scoop with the chip you get a little bit of everything.
- Once the shrimp are cooked, discard some of the juice at least half then add in the tequila. Mix in the veggies, a large pinch of salt and the cilantro. You want some juice for the veggies to marinate but you don’t want everything swimming. Taste and adjust salt accordingly.
- You can serve immediately but I like to cover it allow it to chill for a little while in the fridge.
- Serve on lettuce of your choice!
Keywords: Lime Tequila Shrimp Ceviche Lettuce Boats
Leave a Reply