I gotta say, this quartine is no joke, for many reasons. I personally am struggling to come up with new and creative lunches and dinners every day. I’m a food blogger and even I’m tired of cooking. lol!
This dish was something I dreamt up as I was perusing the fridge and pantry. I really enjoy pasta dishes without a ton of sauce, I feel like too much sauce hides all the flavors or the other ingredients. So for this pasta, I used some grated parm cheese and pasta water to make a thin but flavorful sauce.
It seems I’m not alone. When I made this on my Instagram stories I had a LOT of ppl agree, less sauce is more! So here’s the recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as did my husband and I!
- 14 oz Andouille Sausage sliced thin on the bias
- 1 lb short pasta like Cellentani, Penne, Elbow or Farfalle
- 1 bundle asparagus – sliced on the bias
- 1C grated Parmesean, plus more garnish
- 1C reserved pasta water
- In a large pot bring water to a boil. Add salt and cook according to package directions.
- In a large deep skillet (or dutch oven) over medium-high heat, pan fry the sliced sausage with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until you see the sausage beginning to brown.
- Add in the asparagus and stir to combine until asparagus reaches desired tenderness. I like it to be a little firm.
- Once the pasta is cooked, spoon half the pasta in to the sausage along with 1/2 a cup of pasta water. Sprinkle on the cheese and stir to combine. Taste and add more water or cheese to your preference.
- Serve immediately and add more cheese to the top if you’d like.
You could easily substitute the andouille with ground Italian sausage or even plain ground pork. If you chose to use plain ground pork I would add in some garlic and crushed red pepper flake. the spice in the sausage is what makes this dish!
No asparagus? You could easily sub with broccoli, Brussels Sprouts or even fresh spinach leaves.
Reheat – to reheat, I add a little chicken stock and grated Parmesean cheese to the bowl, stir well and microwave for about 1 min.
Keywords: Spicy Andouille Sausage and Asparagus Pasta