Ok! If you haven’t tried halloumi I urge you to give it a try! It’s absolutely delicious, I guarantee it will get gobbled up in minutes! The night I made this as an appetizer I ate so much I had no room for dinner, you GOTTA try this one!
I like to eat this cheese with roasted tomatoes but grilled halloumi is great on salads and sandwiches too!
What is halloumi and where is it from?
Halloumi cheese originated in Cyprus, which is an island country in the Mediterranean sea. The cheese is traditionally made from sheeps milk using brine. So the taste is salty and firm the texture is similar to a mozzarella cheese stick – but so much more flavor! The melting point is quite high so you can easily grill, fry or pan sear this cheese.
Give it a try! I went to a Middle Eastern market to to get the cheese but it’s becoming fairly popular and you can probably find it at large grocery stores that carry a wide variety of cheeses.
Links in this post are part of the Amazon Associate program. I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 1 block 8oz block of Halloumi
- 4 very ripe tomatoes
- drizzle of olive oil
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil
Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut tomatoes into 1-inch pieces and place on a rimed baking sheet. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for about 10 min. Or until the tomatoes are soft and tender and some might be starting to brown.
- Heat your grill pan or outdoor grill over medium heat. Brush with a little olive oil.
- Slice cheese (on the short side) into 1/4 inch slices and place on the preheated grill. Cook both sides until you see grill marks.
- Place roasted tomatoes in a bowl, sprinkle with basil and serve with the warm cheese. I like to use the cheese as the cracker but you could also eat the cheese and tomatoes on an actual cracker too.
Keywords: Appetizer Grilled Halloumi with Roasted Tomatoes