I’m really starting to see some good-looking fresh berries in the grocery store produce section. But even if you don’t have great fruit to choose from yet you can make this galette with frozen berries and I promise it’s just delicious.
What is a galette?
The short answer it’s a fast and easy version of a pie. But technically it’s a French dessert and the word galette translates to a flat, free form, cake. Galettes are rustic with a big personality. Just fold the crust over the filling and you have a dessert that will impress.
The French galette is also versatile. Not into sweets, you can make savory galettes too with sautéed veggies ans shredded cheese. Sky’s the limit, get creative and add in your favorites!
- one refrigerated pie crust (that type that comes in a roll, not in a pan)
- one (16oz) bag mixed frozen berries or 4 cups of fresh berries, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a pot over medium heat, combine the frozen berries, 1/2 cup sugar and a tablespoon of water the stir occasionally until the fruit has thawed then add cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, in a cup combine the cornstarch and cold water and stir until dissolved. After the fruit has thawed, increase heat to high and stir in the cornstarch liquid, a little at a time. You should see the fruit begin to thicken. Note – you may not need all the cornstarch liquid. Remove from heat and set to the side.
- Roll out the pie crust and sprinkle with a little cinnamon and sugar. IMPT- At this point place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Carefully, using a slotted spoon scoop the fruit mixture into the middle of the pie crust leaving a 2-inch border around the edge.
- Fold in the edges over the fruit. Then brush with the egg wash mixture and sprinkle the crust edge with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
- Sometimes frozen berries can turn mushy if overcooked. I will often times use a combination of fresh and frozen fruit to make sure I have good consistency and texture.
Keywords: Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pie, galette, French