- one refrigerated pie crust (that comes in a roll, not in a pan)
- one (16oz) bag mixed frozen berries
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a pot over medium heat, combine the frozen berries, 1/2 cup sugar and a tablespoon of water the stir occasionally until the fruit has thawed then add cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, in a cup combine the cornstarch and cold water and stir until dissolved. After the fruit has thawed, increase heat to high and stir in the cornstarch liquid, a little at a time. You should see the fruit begin to thicken. Note – you may not need all the cornstarch liquid. Remove from heat and set to the side.
- Roll out the pie crust and sprinkle with a little cinnamon and sugar. IMPT- At this point place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Carefully, using a slotted spoon scoop the fruit mixture into the middle of the pie crust leaving a 2-inch border around the edge.
- Fold in the edges over the fruit. Then brush with the egg wash mixture and sprinkle the crust edge with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Allow to rest at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
- Sometimes frozen berries can turn mushy if overcooked. I will often times add a cup of fresh fruit like blueberries and chopped strawberries to make sure I have a good consistency and texture.
Keywords: Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pie, galette, French