I don’t call many of my recipes “the best” because let’s be honest…there are so many awesome recipes out there it would be silly to think mine is the ultimate in the world.
However… haha! This recipe has received so much positive feedback that felt confident using the title. the amount of flavor in this soup is incredible you can taste the depth of flavor in every bite. Most French Onion Soups don’t include balsamic vinegar and red chili flake but it works and I wouldn’t skip it if I were you!
World’s Best French Onion Soup
Here’s the downside (don’t worry it’s not really that bad) this is not a soup that you can whip up in an hour. To really get the most flavor out of the onions, you can not rush the sautee process. Slow and low is the name of the game. This is a great weekend meal to enjoy with friends and family. After all, if you put that much time and love into a recipe it should be shared!Print
- 10lb sweet onions – sliced very thin
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic – chopped
- 1/4 C dry white wine
- 8 cups beef stock – I use @betterthanbouillon
- 2 TBL balsamic vinegar – I use @balsamico_bonini
- 8 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Red pepper flake- to taste
- Salt & Pepper
- sliced French bread – 2 -3 slices per bowl
- shredded Gruyere cheese – about 2 cups
- sliced Swiss cheese – 1 or 2 slices per bowl
- 1. In a large heavy bottom pot, melt butter over low heat then add the sliced onions. Season with S & P.
- Sauté onions over low heat until reduced by half – this could take 1 hour or more, patients is key.
- Add garlic stir and cook about 5 min.
- Add white wine and cook another 5 min.
- Add balsamic vinegar, stock, thyme, bay and red pepper flake. Stir, cover and simmer another hour.
- Fill oven save cups, top with French bread, shredded gruyere and Swiss cheeses.
- Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly!
Keywords: French, soup, onions, savory, cheese, Gruyere, Swiss cheese