- 10lb sweet onions – sliced very thin
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 4 cloves garlic – chopped
- 1/4 C dry white wine
- 8 cups beef stock – I use @betterthanbouillon
- 2 TBL balsamic vinegar – I use @balsamico_bonini
- 8 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Red pepper flake- to taste
- Salt & Pepper
- sliced French bread – 2 -3 slices per bowl
- shredded Gruyere cheese – about 2 cups
- sliced Swiss cheese – 1 or 2 slices per bowl
- 1. In a large heavy bottom pot, melt butter over low heat then add the sliced onions. Season with S & P.
- Sauté onions over low heat until reduced by half – this could take 1 hour or more, patients is key.
- Add garlic stir and cook about 5 min.
- Add white wine and cook another 5 min.
- Add balsamic vinegar, stock, thyme, bay and red pepper flake. Stir, cover and simmer another hour.
- Fill oven save cups, top with French bread, shredded gruyere and Swiss cheeses.
- Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly!
Keywords: French, soup, onions, savory, cheese, Gruyere, Swiss cheese