Spicy, cheesy and meaty this Mexican dip has something for everyone!
I was invited to an impromptu, alfresco front yard, social distancing Cinco de Mayo party and luckily I had some spicy Wampler’s Chorizo in my freezer. Recently, Wampler’s reached out to me to discuss a collaboration. They had never tried working with a food blogger before but wanted to give it a try as they are launching several new products – chorizo being one of them.
I’ve been using Wampler’s Sausage for years, it’s the star of my Jalapeno Poppers, among other dishes too. And because I’ve been using their products and tagging them on social media for a few years they thought a collaboration might work for both of us.
I’m happy to report my first recipe using their chorizo was a success! At the gathering, everyone was going back for seconds and several people asked for the recipe! It really is tasty, I’m already brainstorming new recipes to experiment with this chorizo. If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think, I would love to get your feedback!
- 1lb Wampler’s Chorizo
- 14 oz Monterey Jack cheese – cubed or shredded
- 1 can of Rotel (I used the hot)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Optional garnish – diced tomatoes, paprika and jalapeno
- In a deep skillet brown the chorizo until cooked completely, then add in the Rotel (with the juices). Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and cook until warmed about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in 1 tablespoon of flour, whisk to combine, cook for 2 minutes.
- One handful at a time add in the cheese, keep whisking and adding small amounts of cheese after each handful has melted. Note – if the mixture is not thickening or looks greasy (your cheese is separating), you need a little more flour. Add in the remaining flour and keep whisking, this should bring the cheese dip to the consistency you see in my pictures.
- Chop desired toppings and garnish your dip, you are ready to eat! I like to serve this dip with white tortillas but some crunchy bread would be nice too!
If you would like to try the chorizo you’ll need to order online, it’s not on the supermarket shelves yet. But it will come packaged in dry ice and delivered right to your doorstep.
Keywords: Spicy Chorizo Queso Dip