I love risotto but my family is on the Keto diet so began a mission to create a low carb version of the classic Italian, creamy dish. To recreate the texture I use a combination of mashed cauliflower and riced cauliflower. I know what you might be thinking… “that sounds bland’. And it could have been but I sautéed some mushrooms and garlic to elevate the flavors and mimic that of something you might find in a traditional risotto.
Not a fan of scallops, swap them out for shrimp or even a piece of grilled seas bass. If mushrooms aren’t your thing, sauté some cherry tomatoes and onions. This dish is easily customizable to your family’s taste buds!
Scallops over Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto
- Yield: 2–4 1x
- Cuisine: Keto
- 1 container of portobello mushrooms, diced (or swap for your favorite veggie)
- 1 clove garlic – chopped
- 3 pats of butter
- 1 bag mashed cauliflower
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bag of cauli-rice
- 1 container of Herb Boursin Cheese
- 1 lb sea scallops
- salt and pepper
- trimmed and washed asparagus
- olive oil
- lemon wedge
Start the Asparagus – Preheat oven to 425F
- place the asparagus on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. *Use a baking sheet with a lip around the edge. Drizzle asparagus with a little olive oil salt and pepper and toss to combine. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
Make the Cauli-Risotto
- In a deep pot add a pat of butter and sauté the mushrooms and garlic, season with salt and pepper.
- Once tender, add the mashed cauli and water. Heat and stir until smooth.
- Warm the cauli-rice in the microwave just long enough to take the chill off. Increase the heat of the pot to med-high and add the cauli rice to the mashed cauliflower. Continuing to stir and cook about 5 min.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the Boursin cheese, remaining butter and season with additional salt and pepper to your taste.
- *If you like more garlic flavor, sprinkle in a little garlic powder.
Pan sear the Scallops
- Place scallops on a paper towel and place a second paper towel on top of the scallops.
- In a skillet heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and immediately pace in the hot oil. *Note – do not overcrowd the pan, you will cool it down and you will not get that crispy edge on the scallops.
- After the scallops have cooked for about one minute, place a pat of butter in the skillet. allow to melt around the scallops and cook for another minute. Flip the scallops and repeat the process until all the scallops are cooked.
- in a shallow bowl place in the cauli-risotto, place the scallops on top and finish with the asparagus on the side. Serve with a fresh lemon wedge. *Lemon is not pictured but I recommend it and it adds a nice pop of freshness.
Keywords: keto, cauliflower, low carb, seafood, scallops, asparagus
Leave a Reply