This classic potato salad was inspired by my grandmother, Vivian. She was the chief potato salad maker in our family and no one ever tried to take her job.
She had one rule if you were going to help her. ‘Make sure the raw vegetables are cut really small, because no one wants to eat a big bite of raw onion.” And if they weren’t small enough she would let you know and you would need to refine your chopping skills.
I have carried that tip with me for years. Why because she was exactly right. It’s one thing to eat raw onion on a cheeseburger, you know what you’re getting into. But in a salad, the flavors should all work together, the bite should not be overpowered by any one flavor.
So there you have it, according to Vivian keep your raw veggies chopped small! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!
- 3–4 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes – washed with skin on, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons – White wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayo or Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup grainy mustard
- 1 medium shallot – diced very small
- 5 hard-boiled eggs – chopped
- 4 stalks of celery – chopped small
- salt/pepper – to your taste
- 1 hard-boiled egg for garnish
- Boil potatoes – in a deep pot filled with cold water add the potato halves then bring to a soft boil. Continue to cook until potatoes are fork-tender. Your fork should easily slide in and out of the potato. Drain and place on a cutting board and cut into bite-sized pieces. Then place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the vinegar onto the warm potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper then toss gently to combine. And in the chopped shallot and celery.
- In a small bowl combine the mayo and the mustard. Stir well then pour on the potatoes, add in the chopped hard-boiled eggs and stir well until everything is coated. Taste and adjust salt/pepper as needed. If you like your potato salad with more mayo, feel to add as much as you would like.
- Pour the potato salad into a serving bowl, sprinkle with paprika, and the remaining sliced egg as a garnish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving. This potato salad can be made a day in advance just keep it in an airtight container.
Keywords: Classic Potato Salad with Egg