This gnocchi soup is warm and hearty but won’t weigh you down. Potato gnocchi cooks quickly so this soup takes less than an hour to prepare!
Chicken Gnocchi Soup Aditions
Looking to add more vegetables? Consider adding celery, sliced leaks, fresh mushrooms, or some fresh kale. Get creative and change it up with your family’s favorites!
Chicken Gnocchi Soup with Spinach and Carrot
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 chicken breast bone-in, skin on
- 1 white onion – diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced/crinkle-cut carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth – highly recommend Better than Bullion
- salt and pepper – to taste
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 TBL corn starch
- 1 cup fresh spinach or arugula
- 1 cup parmesan cheese – for garnish
- In a pot, heat a drizzle of olive oil and sautee the onions and garlic, about 3 minutes until onions are translucent. Remove from pot and reserve for later.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add a little butter to the same pot, when melted and hot sear the chicken breasts until skin is brown and crispy.
- pour in he chicken broth and high boil until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken, allow to cool for a few minutes then shred chicken and add back to broth.
- Add in the carrots, cooked onions and garlic as well as the thyme, bay leaf, a pinch or salt and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. Simmer about 20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Bring broth to a boil and add gnocchi, cook according to package directions. Gnocchi will float when they are fully cooked. Lower heat
- Add cornstarch to heavy cream whisk, then pour into soup. Stir to combine then add in the fresh spinach. Continue to stir until the spinach is fully cooked.
- Serve with crunchy bread and parmesan cheese on top.
Keywords: Italian, soup, gnocchi, spinach, hearty, one pot
Leave a Reply