- 2 chicken breast bone-in, skin on
- 1 white onion – diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced/crinkle-cut carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth – highly recommend Better than Bullion
- salt and pepper – to taste
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 TBL corn starch
- 1 cup fresh spinach or arugula
- 1 cup parmesan cheese – for garnish
- In a pot, heat a drizzle of olive oil and sautee the onions and garlic, about 3 minutes until onions are translucent. Remove from pot and reserve for later.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add a little butter to the same pot, when melted and hot sear the chicken breasts until skin is brown and crispy.
- pour in he chicken broth and high boil until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken, allow to cool for a few minutes then shred chicken and add back to broth.
- Add in the carrots, cooked onions and garlic as well as the thyme, bay leaf, a pinch or salt and plenty of fresh cracked pepper. Simmer about 20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Bring broth to a boil and add gnocchi, cook according to package directions. Gnocchi will float when they are fully cooked. Lower heat
- Add cornstarch to heavy cream whisk, then pour into soup. Stir to combine then add in the fresh spinach. Continue to stir until the spinach is fully cooked.
- Serve with crunchy bread and parmesan cheese on top.
Keywords: Italian, soup, gnocchi, spinach, hearty, one pot