This recipe is part of my Kids Cook Live Instagram class. This is the eighth class and we are having so much fun! Classes are on Fridays at 12noon EST, classes last about 30 minutes, I post the ingredients and tools we need the week prior to the class then the kids (along with a little help from the parents) cook with me.
This week we are celebrating spring with the lemon berry monkey bread. Why it’s called “monkey bread” no one really seems to know but out of all the theories I’ve read, the one that makes the most sense is that you “pull apart the bread” as a monkey would do.
You can call it whatever you’d like, I just call it yummy!
- 1 can of buttermilk biscuits (5 count)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (raspberries or blackberries would work too)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- non-stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350F
- Pop the can of biscuits and cut each one into quarters.
- Melt butter in a medium-size (microwave safe) bowl, then add in the brown sugar and squeeze in half of the lemon juice. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Next, add the blueberries to the bowl. With a fork, smash about half of the berries and stir to combine. Add the biscuit pieces to the bowl and stir gently until all the pieces are coated in the sugar mixture.
- With the non-stick cooking spray, coat 5 divots in the muffin pan and place 4 pieces of biscuit, along with some berries in each of the 5 divots.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked and have started to brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, make the icing. Combine the powdered sugar and the other half of lemon juice. Stir well to combine.
- After the biscuits are finished baking, allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan then drizzle with the icing. Best eaten the day they are baked while still a little warm.
Keywords: Blueberry Lemon pull-apart Monkey Bread