This is one of those recipes that takes a little time (and a few dishes) to make but it is absolutely worth it. This quiche is pretty enough to be the table centerpiece.
To save on time I will prep several pieces of this recipe the day before serving. You can chop and sautee all the veggies as well as shred the cheese the night before. I will even make and prebake the crust so all that’s left to do is combine everything with the eggs and bake!
Hash Brown Crust:
- 1 pkg frozen hash browns, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- a dash of onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 egg whites and 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese – shredded
- 1 pkg baby spinach
Preheat oven to 400F
Hash Brown Crust:
- Thaw hash-browns. Using a cheesecloth (or clean tea towel) ring out thawed hash browns. You need to get the hash browns as dry as you can. If not you won’t have a crispy crust and the quiche will not hold together.
- Add a little olive oil to the bottom of a springform pan then line with parchment paper, including the sides. Brush with more oil on top of the parchment paper. Set aside
- Combine the hash browns, melted butter, egg and spices in a bowl and put them in the springform pan pushing them up the sides
- Cook in a preheated oven at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until the hash browns start to crisp and brown
For the Quiche:
- In a small pan, over low/medium heat, add a Tablespoon of oil and sauté the onions, pepper and garlic for 8-10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the spinach and cook another few minutes over low heat until wilted. Set aside to cool
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk and cheese. Add the cooled onions and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and pour into the hash brown crust pan
- Reduce the heat to 350F and bake for 45 minutes or until eggs are not jiggly in the center.
You can prep this dish the night before. I make the crust and bake it. Once cooled covered and refrigerate. Make the filling minus the egg, milk and cheese. Saute everything per the directions, once cooled, refrigerate. The next day let the crust come to room temperature, and mix the sauteed veggies with the eggs, milk and cheese. Pour into crust and bake per the directions.
Original recipe derived from happilyunprocessed.com