Ok, so this is not a claim I make very often. In fact, I believe this is the first time I’ve ever named one of my recipes the “best ever”. I know we all have different taste buds and even when prepared perfectly, it might not be to everyone’s liking. This however I’m willing to gamble and say you too will agree – this is the BEST Fried Chichen you will sink your teeth into!
This recipe has 4 (ok 5 if you count the frying oil) main ingredients. Like I always say, if you use quality ingredients, you don’t need many.
The secret is in the spice blend, see that packet in the photo? That’s the magic! Lotus Essence by Blue Loust Spice Company. I was gifted that packet from my food blogger friend Kristin and I can honestly say – WOW! It has a little heat from the Piri Piri peppers they use and flavors like I’ve never tasted before. You will need this seasoning to make the Best Fried Chicken – ever! P.s. this is not paid, there’s no partnership and I don’t make a commission, it’s just good seasoning!! 🙂
And trust me, you’ll find plenty of uses for it. It goes great on any type of protein!
The Very Best Buttermilk Fried Chicken – EVER!
- Prep Time: 3 hours – non active
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 3h 20 min
- Yield: 6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: Southern
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons Lotus Essence all-purpose seasoning
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt/pepper (+/- to your taste)
- canola oil for deep frying (about 24 oz or enough to shallow fry)
- 6 brioche buns for serving
- Toppings of your choice: I used lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and homemade ranch (Hiden Valley Ranch Packet)
- In a large resealable bag combine the buttermilk and Lotus seasoning, stir well. Note: I place the bag in a large cup and fold the sides down over the edge of the cup, this helps avoid the bag tipping over and spilling.
- Add the chicken thighs and mush around so the marinade is covering all the chicken. Zip up the bag a refrigerate 3 -4 hours.
When you are ready to deep fry
- In a deep heavy bottom pot (like a dutch oven) bring the oil to around 350F. Note: if you don’t have a thermometer, place the end of a wooden spoon into the oil. The oil should start to bubble, if it does, you’re ready to go!
- In a shallow bowl or plate add the flour, salt and pepper, mix to combine. Note: Be sure to add enough salt, the Lotus seasoning does not have a lot of salt added so don’t afraid to add some at this step.
- Using tongs, take the chicken from the marinade and cover in four, shake off excess.
- Carefully place floured chicken into the hot oil. Work in batches (2 at a time) so you don’t cool down the oil too much. Fry until golden brown on both sides – about 8 minutes. Taste the chicken and see if needs a pinch of salt as it comes out of the oil.
- Toast the buns and assemble the best fried chicken sandwich – ever! 😉
Take a bite and let me know! Do you agree? Isn’t it soooo good!?
Keywords: Buttermilk, Fried Chicken, brioche bun, ranch dressing
Leave a Reply