Short story. There’s a restaurant/deli in Knoxville, Ham n Goodies that sells Lemon Cookies. Now, these cookies have made themselves very popular. There’s not a party in town that doesn’t have a few of these lemon cookies. Even if you’re not a fan of lemon you have at least heard about ‘The Lemon Cookies from Han n Goodies”. They are that good.
Well. One bite of these cookies and I think I figured out their recipe. The moment I started to chew I shouted, ‘this is a Ham n Goodies Cookie!’. I was elated because now I could have lemon cookies anytime I want!
These cookies are perfect for the holidays but honestly, in my opinion, these are a year-round cookie.
- 1 package of Nestle Toll House Sugar Cookie dough
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- zest of two lemons
- juice of 3 lemons
- sliced almonds, optional
Preheat oven to 350F
- Roll sugar cookie dough into balls and roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake according to package directions, about 12 minutes. Note: Cookies will spread as they back leave at least 2″ in between cookies.
- While the cookies are baking make the lemon glaze/curd. In a small pot or saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Then add in the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Whisk to combine and remove from heat.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool before glazing. While the glaze is still warm place on the almonds if using.