The slow cooker is a great vessel to really bring out all the flavors in this dish! The way the tomatoes, capers, olives and sun-dried tomatoes come together is quite delicious. Plus the chicken absorbs all the flavors as well making this dinner you’ll want to make again and again! I like to serve it with warm crunchy bread to soak up all the sauce.
I will also say this entire meal was cooked in the crock pot, including the pasta. However, I would make the pasta separately from here on out. It’s impossible to control the doneness of the pasta and it will over cook in the matter of minutes then you are left with mush. In my opinion it’s worth dirtying and washing a pot to have the pasta keep it’s texture.
- 3–4 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes – julienned
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning OR a combination of basil, thyme and oregano
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 ounce can tomato paste
- grated parmesan cheese and fresh thyme for topping
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti noodles – cooked separately
- Crunchy Italian bread
Add water to the slow cooker and whisk in flour.
Arrange chicken in the slow cooker in a single layer, then top with tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on low OR 3-4 hours on high.
Add in tomato paste to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes. At this time make the spaghetti on the stovetop. Stir well the contents of the crockpot. Place the spaghetti with the sauce and chicken on top and serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Keywords: crock pot, slow cooker, chicken, olives, Italian, capers,sun-dried tomatoes