If you are looking for an elevated, luxurious mac and cheese – look no further! The Gorgonzola, Parmesan and white cheddar make this dish silky and irresistible. I get many requests to make this mac and cheese and after you serve it up once don’t be surprised if it becomes a party favorite!
This one takes some time and elbow grease, but if you get through it your guests will love it. It also makes several pots and pans to wash, but again if you’re not a hurry this one is a crowd-pleaser!
Luxurious 3 Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total Time: 25 minute
- Yield: 8–10 sides 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 1 pound macaroni – a shape that will stand up to a thick cheesy sauce, like fusilli, penne or elbow
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups milk
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup Gorgonzola – room temperature
- 1 + 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup fine plain bread crumbs – I used store-bought
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until barely al dente – do NOT overcook the pasta, it will fall apart later and it won’t be pretty. Drain; return to the pot.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat until softened about 5 minutes. Add the milk and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in another large saucepan. Add the flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until lightly golden, about 5 minutes; remove from the heat. (This is called a roux, see image on the consistency you’re looking to achieve)
- Gradually whisk the simmering milk into the flour and butter mixture until smooth. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook over low heat, whisking, until thick and bubbling, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. GRADUALLY add the Cheddar, Gorgonzola and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan and cook over low heat, stirring, just until melted. Bring out the big guns because it gets thick.
- Gently and gradually fold in the macaroni until coated with sauce. Spread the macaroni in a 3-quart baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a medium skillet. Add the bread crumbs and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until coated. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining 3/4 cup of Parmesan. Sprinkle the crumbs over the macaroni and bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly golden and bubbling.
- Brown the macaroni under the broiler for just a few seconds; watch it continuously, don’t scorch the crumbs. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Three cheese mac and cheese, luxurious mac and cheese
Leave a Reply