If you’ve been around this blog very long you know I love Puerto Rico and all the flavors of the island! My husband does work in Puerto Rico so we travel there often and it happens to be the place Mike proposed.
Guava pastries have become an obsession of mine! The very first thing I do after touch down in San Juan is head to the bakery. I will buy 6 of these delectable sweet treats. They will last about three days before I head back to buy a fresh batch!
Since I don’t have access to my favorite pastry any time I want, I had to start making them at home! These are super simple and quite tasty with your morning coffee! As for the guava, if you can find guava paste that’s best, but I’ve used the guava jelly and it’s really good too!
I hope you enjoy this little taste from the Island of Enchantment, Puerto Rico!
Pastelitos de Guayaba y Queso / Guava Cheese Pastries
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 pastries 1x
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry – thawed and at room temp
- 6 tablespoons guava paste
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese – at room temp
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 400F
- In a bowl mix together the room temp cream cheese and powdered sugar. Set to the side.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold and roll out the puff pastry until it’s roughly 12″ x 16″. Then cut into 6 equal rectangles.
- Place 1 tablespoon of each the cream cheese and guava on to the pastry along the short side. Roll up and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Try to keep the seam on the bottom to prevent the pastry from unrolling. Repeat.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk. Lightly brush all 6 pastries with the egg wash.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up and become golden brown.
- Best enjoyed the day they are made but I’ve never let one go to waste, they are still tasty a couple of days later, just keep in an airtight container.
Keywords: Puerto Rican, Guava, Pastry, Cream cheese
Leave a Reply