I really love stuffing fruits and vegetables, I do pork stuffed tomatoes, shrimp fried rice in a pineapple, stuffed onions and even stuffed eggplant!
So making stuffed peppers was an easy decision but I wanted to make mine different from most of the recipes I see online. So I decided to stuff my peppers with shredded chicken as opposed to traditional ground beef and rice. By doing so, this recipe comes together really quickly and uses minimal dishes.
I use a fresh pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat then add in the other ingredients, fill the peppers, pop it in the oven and that’s it!
If you’re not a fan of bell peppers feel free to swap them out and use this filling inside tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, or even portobello mushrooms. Just note the cooking time will be less for the softer veggies like the tomato and the mushrooms.
I recently made these peppers on Living East Tennessee. Watch the quick here below!
Links in this post are part of the Amazon Associate program. I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 bell peppers – cut in half and cleaned out
- 1 + 1/2 cups marinara sauce I love the Rao’s brand
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 fresh basil leaves – chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese – divided
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers
- salt/pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (+/- to your taste)
- olive oil
- a drizzle of thick balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut peppers in half down the middle and through the stem. Carefully remove the pith and seeds, discard.
- Then shred the chicken into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, sauce, 1/2 the mozzarella, garlic, salt/pepper, capers, chopped basil and red pepper flakes then mix well until everything is combined.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish (this will help keep the peppers from sticking to the dish). Place the peppers in the baking dish and fill with the chicken mixture. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the peppers are cooked to your liking. If you like a little crunch to your veggies check at the 30-minute mark.
- Drizzle on the balsamic and top with more cheese and basil if you’d like!
Keywords: Italian Chicken Stuffed Peppers