If you’re like me you’re thinking fresh artichokes are a bit intimidating. And they were until I decided to give it go and find out for myself. Spoiler alert – it’s really pretty easy!
This recipe and instructions are from Giada de Laurentis, she uses gorgonzola cheese but I prefer feta and it was delicious. In fact, I really think any melty cheese would be delicious!
The flavors are savory and creamy but also fresh from the lemon, then there’s a little crunch from the breadcrumbs. the prefect starter or appetizer for any party!
For a short video on prepping fresh artichokes and how to eat them, visit my Instagram account and watch the highlight video! You’ll see, fresh artichokes are really quite easy to tackle.
Feta Stuffed Artichokes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 artichokes
- 3 lemons, plus 1 lemon
- 10 ounces feta cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated on a Microplane
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Trim the artichokes by cutting off the top 1-inch. Cut the stem close to the base of the artichoke so the artichoke can sit up straight, and remove some of the bottom leaves. Using kitchen shears, trim the sharp points off of any remaining outer leaves.
- Add the artichokes to the boiling water. Halve the lemons and squeeze the juice into the boiling water. Toss in the lemons. Cook the artichokes until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the artichokes and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the feta, cream, thyme, 2 teaspoons parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. In another small bowl stir together the bread crumbs and remaining of parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the center choke of the artichokes using a small spoon. Stuff the cheese mixture into the center of the artichokes. Place the artichokes into a baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the artichokes. Drizzle the tops of the artichokes with olive oil.
- Bake until the artichokes are heated through, the cheese is melted, and the bread crumbs are crisp and golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer the artichokes to a serving dish and serve.
Keywords: Fresh artichokes, feta cheese, appetizer, vegetable, starter
Leave a Reply