Chicken Stuffed Avocados are an easy, healthy meal that takes minutes to prepare, and they come together really quickly if you have leftover chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken when you’re at the grocery. Perfect for lunch, dinner or even a snack, these chicken stuffed avocados are great for meal prepping. Keep in an airtight container and they will last all week.
Feel free to get really creative with your own favorite flavors. Adding cooked bacon to the recipe below would be a yummy boost of flavor. Cooked quinoa or farro with some veggies and cheese would make a nice filling. You could stuff these avocados with egg salad, chicken salad or even tuna salad. Think about the foods you like and throw them in! Good luck and let me know how they turn out by tagging #desociointhekitchen!
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1+ 1/2 cups shredded chicken (I buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it, saves on time)
- 1/4 cup tomatoes – diced (Rotel adds great flavor)
- 1/4 cup green chilies – diced
- Optional Seasonings – 1/8 Tsp of paprika, cumin, garlic powder and/or a pinch of cayenne pepper if you want a little heat
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese – shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese – shredded for topping
- 1/4 cup cream cheese – softened
- 1/2 TBL jalapeño – diced, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
• Slice avocado in half lengthwise, remove pit and discard
• Scoop out a small amount of avocado meat and place in a bowl. This makes room for the chicken mixture.
• In the same bowl add in the remaining ingredients, chicken, tomatoes, seasonings, green chilies, 1/2 C shredded cheese, cream cheese and optional jalapeño. Mix well.
• Spoon a heaping amount of chicken mixture into the avocado. Repeat for all 8 halves. Note – once stuffed I place the avocados in a muffin tin. This keeps the avocados sitting up straight.
• Top with remaining shredded cheese and bake 10-12 min or until cheese is melted.
If you don’t have a muffin tin place avocados on a baking sheets or oven safe baking dish. just make sure the avocados stay up right while baking