These little fritters are a special treat! They remind me of funnel cakes at the fair but jazzed up a touch with the ricotta and fruit flavors. And feel free to swap the fruit, raspberries would be a great substitution for the blueberries.
Baking with ricotta has become my new thing! While baking isn’t necessarily my speciality I have found ricotta makes your baked goods so light and fluffy! I highly recommend you give it a try!
I developed this recipe for a collaboration with my friend Kristin at Hapa Homecooking. She’s a nurse in Annapolis, MD and over the last few months, she and I have become good friends. One day I took over her Instagram account and made these fritters for her friends and followers! They seemed to be a big hit as lots of people were excited for the recipe!
- 1 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 + 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 C ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Juice and zest from 1/2 a lemon
- Splash of vanilla
- 1/2 C blueberries
- 1 quart Canola Oil – for deep fryingGlaze
- 1 C confectioners sugar
- 2 TBL heavy cream or whole milk
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl – flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together wet ingredients (ricotta, egg, lemon zest/juice and vanilla) then combine with dry ingredients. Fold in the blueberries.
- In a deep heavy pot, bring oil to 375°
- Using a scoop or spoon gently place the dough into the hot oil. Allow to brown and flip over. Continue to cook and flip until golden brown. Place on a paper towel to drain.
- Glaze – Whisk all ingredients (confectioners sugar, whole milk and lemon juice) together and spoon over warm fritters. For extra flair, add little more lemon zest to top them off!Best enjoyed immediately, while warm!
Keywords: Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Fritters