This week on Kids Cook Live I’m going to see if we can get even the pickiest eaters to try zucchini! Get the kiddos and cook with me live on Friday, June 12th at 12noon EST on Instagram!
During this class, the kids will get to practice their safe knife skills while getting to make a fun creature. From what I hear it can sometimes be difficult to get kids to try new foods, especially healthy foods. So I thought if I can make it fun maybe we can at least get them to try a bite!
- 1 small zucchini
- 10–15 pepperoni
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 black olive – sliced to make the eyes
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dunking
Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Wash and dry the zucchini. Place zucchini on the countertop, try to find the position where it sits the mostly flat and doesn’t roll around.
- With a small knife make slits down the zucchini about 1/4″ apart. But be careful not to slice all the way through the zucchini – or you’ll cut your caterpillar in half. 🙂
- Working quickly, place one pepperoni in each slit. Note – I mentioned to work quickly because the zucchini will start to stick back together making it difficult to get the pepperoni in.
- Place the stuffed zucchini on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. You may need to prop the caterpillar up with a small bowl that is safe in the oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the pepperoni begins to crisp up! While the caterpillar is cooking warm the marinara sauce in the microwave for a few seconds.
- For the eyes, I used a toothpick and simply hung the black olive from it.