- 1 small zucchini
- 10–15 pepperoni
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 black olive – sliced to make the eyes
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dunking
Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Wash and dry the zucchini. Place zucchini on the countertop, try to find the position where it sits the mostly flat and doesn’t roll around.
- With a small knife make slits down the zucchini about 1/4″ apart. But be careful not to slice all the way through the zucchini – or you’ll cut your caterpillar in half. 🙂
- Working quickly, place one pepperoni in each slit. Note – I mentioned to work quickly because the zucchini will start to stick back together making it difficult to get the pepperoni in.
- Place the stuffed zucchini on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. You may need to prop the caterpillar up with a small bowl that is safe in the oven.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the pepperoni begins to crisp up! While the caterpillar is cooking warm the marinara sauce in the microwave for a few seconds.
- For the eyes, I used a toothpick and simply hung the black olive from it.