I’m pretty sure beef and broccoli was my introduction to Chinese food. I remember eating it all the time as a child and it’s still one of my favorite Asian foods. But for whatever reason, I think the broccoli is the best part! Anytime I order take-out I always ask for ‘extra broccoli please’ and they usually oblige without too much hesitation.
Beef and broccoli is so easy to make, I’ve started adding it into my weeknight dinner rotation. And for extra protein, I’ve been replacing rice with farro. Farro is packed full of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Farro is a grain, so it’s not gluten-free but if you’d like a healthy rice replacement this is one to try. I didn’t even tell my husband and I’m pretty sure he thought it was brown rice. Shh, don’t tell him.
The recipe below is fairly traditional but if you’d like to add in more veggies, have at it! I think fresh mushrooms, carrots, and water chestnuts would be great additions. Enjoy and if you decide to give it a try, tag #DeSocioInTheKitchen I always enjoy seeing how your dishes turn out.
Quick and Easy Beef and Broccoli with Farro
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 –1/2 pounds sirloin steak – sliced very thin, into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup soy sauce – I prefer the low sodium version
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch – divided
- 5 cups of broccoli florets cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon ginger – grated on a microplane
- 1 large clove of garlic – grated on a mircoplane
- 4 tablespoons canola oil – divided
- 1/4 cup scallions – thinly sliced into 2 inch long strips
- 2 cups of cooked farro or rice (be sure to pick up the quick-cook farro, it only takes 10 minutes versus 30.
Whisk soy sauce, chicken broth, sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a small bowl, set to the side. Toss thinly cut steak with the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or skillet with a deep edge, over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook until until just browned, about 3 minutes. Note: do not over cook the steak, if anything under cook it just a little. Transfer to a small plate.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoon oil and broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender, about 4 minutes. Add in the scallions, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic, if needed turn down the heat.
re-whisk the soy sauce mixture (the corn starch will settle) and add it, and the beef back to the pan. Stir until the sauce thickens, about 1 or 2 minutes. Serve over warm farro (or rice) and garnish with scallions.
Keywords: Quick and Easy Beef and Broccoli with Farro
Leave a Reply