Typically I like equal parts of beans and meat in my chili but I have a few family members doing the keto diet so I needed to make a chili that was low carb – which means cutting the legumes. We didn’t want to completely omit the beans so I doubled all the ingredients listed below and added only one can of beans. Which made everyone happy.
One of the best parts about this chili is eating it with this garlic cheese keto biscuits from The Girl Who Ate Everything. When I say these things are really good, I mean it. And I’m not saying they are “good for a keto biscuit” they are good for anyone who eats! LOL! Seriously, I haven’t met anyone who hasn’t liked them.
- 1 ½ pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seeds removed if you don’t want it spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can red kidney beans (omit to lower carb count)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to your taste
Optional Additions for Serving
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- chopped chives
- keto garlic biscuits
- Saute the Vegetables: In a large deep pot or dutch oven heat a large drizzle of olive oil and begin by sauteeing the chopped onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the diced bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic, continuing cooking for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef, season generously with salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin, and onion powder. Cook and break up the meat into small pieces until just about cooked through.
- Add in the tomato paste, stir to combine then add in the can of diced tomatoes and beef stock. Taste and add seasonings accordingly. Stir well and simmer for 1 hour to allow flavors to develop.
- Serve with your choice of toppings!
Keywords: soup, chili, keto,