Fresh, lemony and easy to make! This recipe was a result of having a container of Greek yogurt in my fridge. I wasn’t eating it but I didn’t want to waste it so I turned into a fresh and light marinade for some chicken thighs.
To be honest I wasn’t sure what I was going to think but as soon as the chicken hit the hot grill my mouth started watering – if it smelled that good I knew it was going to taste great too! Something about the tart of the yogurt mixed with the salty pickle juice and the citrus from the lemon just really works together!
Greek Chicken Skewers
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Marinade Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill/Stove Top
- Cuisine: Greek
- 6 chicken thighs – fat trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
- 1 red onion – cut into 1” pieces
- 1 red bell pepper – cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (sub sourcream if you don’t have yogurt)
- juice of 1 large lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbl dill pickle juice
- 1 clove garlic – grated on microplane
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6–8 metal skewers
- In a bowl (I used a plastic tub with lid) combine the yogurt, lemon juice and zest as well as pickle juice, garlic, oregano, thyme, dill and salt and pepper. Whisk well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I like it very lemony, plently of salt will also help bring out the flavors.
- Reserve about 1 cup of the mixture and refrigerate for later.
- Add the pieces of chicken to the yogurt mixture. Make sure all the pieces of chicken are coated then cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- When you are ready to cook – preheat the grill to 350F.
- Begin assembling the skewers. I like to start with chicken (tapping excess marinade off) then red pepper and two pieces of onion. repeat until you have 4 pieces of chicken per skewer.
- Clean and oil your grill grates. Place skewers on indirect heat, rotating every 5-8 minutes. Cook until internal temp is 165F. Try not to overcook to avoid dry chicken.
- Carefully remove from heat and serve with the remaining marinade/dipping sauce. For a complete dinner eat over a simple Greek Salad of lettuce, olives, and feta cheese!
- When threading the chicken on the skewer try to get it tight, try to avoid having pieces dangling from the skewers. Thes bits will burn too quickly.
- I used two pieces of onion inbetween the chicken so it didn’t get overcooked before the chicken was finished.
- Serving suggestions: Over a salad, with a side of lemon orzo or roasted veggies!
Keywords: Greek, chicken, lemon, skewers, red pepper, onion, grilling, fresh herbs, thyme, oregano
Leave a Reply