Every once in a while I really crave a messy, juicy Philly cheesesteak! There’s something about the thin steak that melts in your mouth and gooey cheese combined with the flavorful mushrooms, onion and green pepper, it’s a party in my belly! Oh! And don’t forget the mayo, it’s the secret that pulls it all together!
This recipe is quick, easy and fairly authentic – except the mayo and the bun. 🙂 I prepared all this on my gas grill to avoid heating up my house. The instructions below can easily be adapted for the grill or the stovetop.
- 1lb steak – shaved thin (I used the Trader Joes band and it was delicious)
- 1 large sweet onion – sliced or diced, I like onion so I slice big pieces
- 1 small container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 tablespoon butter – divided
- 4 tablespoons mayo – divided
- 4 rolls
- 1/2 tablespoon Seasoning salt (+/- to your taste)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Chop onion and green pepper. In a deep skillet melt 2 tbl butter, once hot add in the veggies and mushroom. Season with salt and pepper. Sautee until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- After the veggies are almost finished, start the steak. On a griddle or a deep skillet, melt the remaining 2 tbl butter. Season steak with seasoning salt and black pepper. Once the griddle is very hot quickly brown the steak. Be careful not to overcook the steak, I like to leave a little pink.
- While the steak is cooking lightly butter and toast the rolls then apply 1 tbl mayo to each roll. Pile on the steak and veggies. Top with a slice of cheese and broil just long enough to get it all gooey and melty.
Keywords: Best quick and easy Philly cheesesteak