Every once in a while I really crave a messy, juicy Philly cheesesteak! There’s something about the thin steak that melts in your mouth and gooey cheese combined with the flavorful mushrooms, onion and green pepper, it’s a party in my belly! Oh! And don’t forget the mayo, it’s the secret that pulls it all together!
This recipe is quick, easy and fairly authentic – except the mayo and the bun. 🙂 I prepared all this on my gas grill to avoid heating up my house. The instructions below can easily be adapted for the grill or the stovetop.
Quick and Easy Philly Cheesesteak
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Cuisine: American
- 1lb steak – shaved thin (I used the Trader Joes band and it was delicious)
- 1 large sweet onion – sliced or diced, I like onion so I slice big pieces
- 1 small container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 4 tablespoon butter – divided
- 4 tablespoons mayo – divided
- 4 rolls
- 1/2 tablespoon Seasoning salt (+/- to your taste)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Chop onion and green pepper. In a deep skillet melt 2 tbl butter, once hot add in the veggies and mushroom. Season with salt and pepper. Sautee until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- After the veggies are almost finished, start the steak. On a griddle or a deep skillet, melt the remaining 2 tbl butter. Season steak with seasoning salt and black pepper. Once the griddle is very hot quickly brown the steak. Be careful not to overcook the steak, I like to leave a little pink.
- While the steak is cooking lightly butter and toast the rolls then apply 1 tbl mayo to each roll. Pile on the steak and veggies. Top with a slice of cheese and broil just long enough to get it all gooey and melty.
Keywords: Best quick and easy Philly cheesesteak
Leave a Reply