I’m calling this is a spicy spring soup!
This recipe started with one ingredient – okra. I really enjoy okra and keep a stash of the green vegetable stored in my freezer. And here lately every time I open my freezer drawer it was shouting – COOK ME! And I needed to, it had been in there for a couple of weeks and I would hate to waste it should it become freezer burned.
So this soup recipe was born. I began looking around the refrigerator and the pantry and came up with some other veggies to throw in. I do need to point out if you don’t physically see the crab in the picture it’s because I didn’t have lump crab meat (I had a random can of crab in the pantry)… so it all broke apart. However, I could taste the crab so I know the flavors work. Go for the good stuff and get lump crab meat it’s what this recipe needs!Print
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion – diced
- 3 stalks of celery – diced
- 1 red bell pepper – diced
- 1 clove garlic – chopped
- 1 can of sweet corn – drained (or frozen)
- 3 cups okra – sliced crosswise
- 1 can diced tomatoes – 14 oz
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups chicken or fish stock
- 3 springs of thyme
- 1/4 cup hot and spicy oregano – fresh (If you can’t find this herb, sub with 1/2 tablespoon of crushed red pepper or a couple of splashes of tabasco)
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 oz lump crab meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a deep pot. Add in onion, celery, and red pepper, sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add red wine to deglaze the pot and stir to scrape up any brown bits. Once the wine has mostly evaporated add the canned tomatoes with their juices – lightly salt and pepper tomatoes. Cook at least 10 minutes to bring out the flavors of the tomatoes.
- Add in the stock, herbs, corn and okra. Season again with a little more salt and pepper. Allow to simmer about 20 minutes. Long enough for the okra to cook thoroughly. Soup will thicken slightly.
- Stir in crab meat and allow to cook until warmed through about 5 additional minutes. Remove herbs and serve with warm bread or over rice.