I love a warm and hearty soup and this one fits the bill!
I made this for my family for Super bowl Sunday and it was a big hit. The spicy sausage give it so much flavor and the beans add great texture and add great nutrients.
I also like that this soup is pretty healthy too. There’s no cream, we use pureed beans to thicken it up and if you’d like to cut the fat, replace the sausage with ground turkey and add some red pepper flake for a little heat.
Italian Sausage and Bean Soup
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- 16oz spicy Italian sausage
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 sweet onion – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped
- 4 cans cannellini beans (rinsed)
- 4 carrots – peeled and chopped
- 5 cups (low sodium) chicken stock
- 1/2 bag baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon each of dried basil, thyme and oregano
- Salt and pepper as needed
- In a deep pot start by browning the bacon until crispy then brown the sausage. Once cooked through, remove from the pot and set to the side. Leave about 2 tablespoons of grease in the pot.
- Add onions and herbs and sauté until tender then add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the beans and the chicken stock. Use an emersion blender to purée the beans just a little bit. If you do not have an emersion blender place about 1 cup of beans in a traditional blender and puree, then add back to the pot.
- Add in the chopped carrots, sausage and bacon. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in the spinach.
- Taste and add salt or pepper if desired. Be careful not to add too much salt, the bacon and sausage already have a lot of salt and it’s easy to overdo it.
Keywords: soup, beans, bacon, sausage, carrots,
Leave a Reply