- 16oz spicy Italian sausage
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 sweet onion – diced
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped
- 4 cans cannellini beans (rinsed)
- 4 carrots – peeled and chopped
- 5 cups (low sodium) chicken stock
- 1/2 bag baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon each of dried basil, thyme and oregano
- Salt and pepper as needed
- In a deep pot start by browning the bacon until crispy then brown the sausage. Once cooked through, remove from the pot and set to the side. Leave about 2 tablespoons of grease in the pot.
- Add onions and herbs and sauté until tender then add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the beans and the chicken stock. Use an emersion blender to purée the beans just a little bit. If you do not have an emersion blender place about 1 cup of beans in a traditional blender and puree, then add back to the pot.
- Add in the chopped carrots, sausage and bacon. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in the spinach.
- Taste and add salt or pepper if desired. Be careful not to add too much salt, the bacon and sausage already have a lot of salt and it’s easy to overdo it.
Keywords: soup, beans, bacon, sausage, carrots,