I made this gumbo on my Instagram stories in March 2020. And there’s only one way to describe it – delicious with so. much. flava!
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect but there was so much depth to the dish that my husband and I couldn’t stop eating it. It had just the right amount of heat with lots of veggies and herbs. I highly recommend using spicy andouille sausage as it’s filled with tons of flavor on its own.
the other ‘secret’ ingredient to making this ah-mazing gumbo is the Gumbeaux Seasoning Blend ! Oh my word, when you open the lid you are immediately transported to Lousianna, down on the Bayou! The flavor this seasoning brings to your Cajun dishes is truly out of this world.Print
Easy Shrimp & Andouille Sausage Gumbo
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
- Category: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Cajun
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color will work) – chopped
- 2 stalks of celery – chopped
- 1 jalapeno – seeds removed and diced
- 1 clove garlic- chopped
- 1 lb andouille sausage – sliced into medallions
- 3 cups chopped okra – fresh
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 cups (or one 32oz box) chicken stock
- 1 – 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoon of Gumbeaux Seasoning Blend (or 1/4 tsp each of thyme, oregano, paprika, onion powder, and Old Bay Seasoning)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper – to your taste
- 2 –4 cups of cooked rice or cauli-rice
- Make the roux. Add butter to your dutch oven on medium heat, when melted add in the four and stir out the lumps. Allow to cook, while continuing to stir, lower heat and cook until the flour has developed into a deep brown. Note: This could take several minutes, but the darker you can allow the roux to develop the more flavor you will get.
- Add the bay leaf, diced onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, celery and garlic. Stir and simmer until veggies begin to soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the can of tomatoes, stock and gumbo seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add in the sausage and okra, continue a low boil for another 5 minutes then reduce to a simmer. Cover (but vented slightly) and let simmer 15-20 minutes or until okra is cooked thoroughly and no longer slimy. Continue to low simmer for about 1 hour. 5 minutes before serving add in shrimp, stir to combine. Raw shrimp will cook fast, they only take about 5 min in hot liquid.
- Serve over rice or cauli-rice or traditional white rice. Enjoy!
If you’re not into shrimp you could substitute with chicken. But you will need to add the bite sized pieces at the beginning. Cook chicken in your dutch oven then remove and keep to the side. Then begin making the roux in the same pot. Add the chicken back in with the sausage.
Keywords: Easy, Shrimp, Andouille Sausage, Gumbo, shrimp, rice, okra, soup, hearty
Leave a Reply