Why on earth would I grill chocolate cake and inside an orange no less?
When I was asked by KnoxvilleWeekend to host ‘Will it Grill’ I had to get creative and think outside of my traditional oven. I had to come up with something that typically people wouldn’t think to grill and see if I could get it to work!
Since it is Thanksgiving I wanted to grill something that you could serve around the holiday. At my dinner parties, I love to serve everyone their own, individual dessert. I think it makes the guests feel special that you went the extra step to make them their own dessert. So I landed on making grilled oranges filled with chocolate cake!
Chocolate Cake Grilled Oranges
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1hr
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: camp fire
- 6 Oranges – Large, the bigger the better
- Cake Mix – Your favorite box recipe or homemade
(check the box for eggs, water and/or oil if needed for the box recipe)
- Foil – 6 large pieces
- Whipped Cream
- Optional Garnish – chopped nuts, sprinkles or cherry
Preheat grill to 350F.
- Slice off the top of each orange about 1/4 inch of the way down.
- Over a bowl scoop out the oranges. I use a knife and go around the side and make a few cuts across. Then use a spoon to scoop out the fruit (if you have a grapefruit spoon, all the better). Save and eat later or discard, you won’t need it for the recipe.
- Make the cake mix batter according to the box instructions. Sometimes I will add a tablespoon of juice from the oranges to the batter for extra orange flavor. Note – you will have extra batter leftover. Use it to make more orange cakes, cupcakes or a small cake.
- Fill each orange with cake mix only half full, any more and you will have lava cakes! Then put the top back on the orange.
- Tightly wrap each orange in foil. Place the wrapped oranges on the grill for approximately 30 min. The center of my grill is the hottest if you have a hot spot I recommend placing the oranges in that section. Check one after 30 min, you may need to add a little more time.
- To serve remove from foil and place on a tray. I like to remove the ‘hat’ portion and prop it over to the side and top with whipped cream.
Keywords: Chocolate Cake Grilled Oranges
Leave a Reply