There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup on a cold rainy day. I love soups but wanted something different than my typical chicken noodle or tomato so I went looking for inspiration and came across this recipe from Closet Cooking and it sounded like the perfect prescription for a dreary day.
With all the mushrooms and carrots this soup is hearty and filling. It does have cream in it but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a ‘creamy’ soup, it’s just the right balance of cream and broth. If you wanted to add in more veggies, I think tomato, celery, and spinach would be great additions.
- 2 chicken breasts (time savor tip, pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 +1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bellas and shiitake)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced on a Microplane
- fresh thyme bundle – 6 to 8 thyme sprigs tied together
- 4 cups chicken broth (equates to 1, 32oz box container)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a deep pot or dutch oven, add chicken and cook thoroughly. Once cooked shred the chicken. If using a rotisserie chicken, simply shred both breasts.
- In the same pot, you cooked the chicken, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add the carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter, the diced onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add in the garlic and thyme bundle, stir and continue to cook until fragrant, about two minutes.
- Add the broth and rice then bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Note: The rice I used cooks quickly, follow the cook time on the package of rice you’re using.
- Add in the milk and cheese and stir until the cheese has melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove thyme sprig. Serve hot and garnish with extra parmesan cheese if you’d like! Enjoy!
Keywords: Chicken and Rice Soup with Mushrooms and Carrots