- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin (note: not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar – for the towel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese – at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º. Grease 15 x10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax or parchment paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin kitchen towel with the ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
- Combine the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt in a small bowl. In a larger bowl combine eggs and granulated sugar, with an electric mixer, mix until thick and the color of the mixture become a light yellow. Add in the pumpkin and continue to mix. Once combined, stir in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comeout clean. Note: try not to over bake as this could cause cracking when rolling up the cake.
- Immediately turn the cake out onto prepared towel with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off the paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Allow to cool almost completely.
- Meanwhile combine the cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth.
- Carefully unroll cake. Spread filling over cake. Reroll cake.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
- Pumpkin rolls freeze really well. Wrap in plastic wrap first then wrap again in aluminum foil.
- Your pumpkin roll should last a week in the refrigerator. But keep rolled in plastic wrap while storing or the cake will dry out.
Keywords: Pumpkin Roll, Fall Recipe, Baking