- 24 littleneck clams – the smaller the better
- 2 tablespoons of butter – divided
- 1 large shallot – sliced thin
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- crunchy bread for serving
- lemon wedges for serving
Before you start cooking:
- Soak clams in cold water and brush lightly to remove any grit or sand
- Have all the ingredients ready and close by, this recipe moves quickly.
- Over medium-high heat melt butter. Add in shallot and stir continuously to avoid burning the shallot, season with a little salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and garlic, season generously with salt and pepper, continue stirring, and cooking about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and increase to high. Once the wine begins to boil add in the clams and cover. Cook about 8 minutes or until the clams have opened. Remove from heat, discard any clams that did not open, stir in remaining butter and a little salt and pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges and warm crunchy bread to soak up all the yummy juice!