- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 +1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- splash of vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Vanilla bean ice cream – optional but it makes it really good 🙂
- In a microwave-safe mug combine all the dry ingredients – flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Using a fork stir well and smash out any lumps.
- Next, add in the remaining ingredients – oil, water, and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine. Then stir in half the chocolate chips, top the cake with the remaining chips.
- Place in the microwave, on a paper towel or paper plate (just in case it overflows) and microwave on high for 1 min. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If undercooked, microwave for another 15-30 seconds.
- Be careful! The cake will be HOT! Allow to cool for a few minutes before eating. Top with ice cream and enjoy!
- I found the best-sized mug is right around 8 ounces. The cake rises but still leaves room for the ice cream. Feel free to use any sized mug you’d like just know if it’s a large mug, it won’t rise to the top. 🙂
- Doubling the recipe – I’ve tried this and the only change is the microwave time. I had to cook for 2 minutes for the cake to cook through.
Keywords: Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake dessert