FRUIT – these are my go-to selections but please use what you like.
- 1 bag of dark purple grapes
- 1 handful pitted cherries – cut in half
- 4 large Honey Crisp apples – skin on and diced
- 1 container of ripe strawberries – leaves removed and sliced
- 3 large navel oranges – peeled and segments removed
- 1 large or 2 small containers of blueberries
- 1 or 2 containers of blackberries
- 1 container of pomegranate Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice – I like Simply Orange or squeeze your own.
- 1 large lemon – juiced
- 1 large lime – juiced
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 10 (ish) fresh mint leaves – chiffonade
Note – Lemon and lime juice – you don’t have to use both but I highly recommend one or the other in addition to the orange juice. Also, use a little bit of the zest from each of the fruits in the marinade, it just adds a more little flavor.
- Add all marinade ingredients (except mint) to a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Wash and cut fruit to the desired size, think bite-size so guests don’t have to fumble with it at the table. Combine all fruit into a large bowl with plenty of extra room to toss and mix fruit.
- Drizzle the marinade all over the fruit and sprinkle on the mint. Using a large spoon or spatula, scooping all the way down and under the fruit lightly mix to coat with the marinade.
- Add the raspberries just before serving, do not mix in with the other fruit, they turn to mush. Sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds.
- Refrigerate up to an hour then serve immediately. Do not marinade for hours, once you cut the fruit it will begin to make its own juices. Adding more liquid (the marinade) will make everything mushy and the colors bleed. Soupy fruit salad is not what you’re going for.
- Serve in a large bowl on a buffet or in individual bowls at an intimate brunch. Enjoy this taste of summer!
Make ahead Chopping fruit can take a lot of time so it makes sense to prep ahead. But what you don’t want to do is store red strawberries with yellow pineapple. The red fruits will bleed and make everything sort of pink and not so appealing. The fix? Go ahead and wash, peel, chop and dice all the fruit, then you can either place all the prepared fruit in separate storage containers or using a couple of large bowls I’ll group the dark fruit together (i.e. grapes, blueberries, blackberries) and keep the juicy fruit separate, like pineapple, and keep the cut apple by itself covered in lemon water to prevent browning.
Keywords: Fruit Salad