1 cup quick-cook farro
1 tsp. salt
5-6 radishes, thinly sliced on a mandoline if you have one
- 1/2 purple onion – sliced thin on a mandoline if you have one
¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- large pinch of salt
Grilled Vegetables and Chicken
- olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini cut into 1/4” slice
- 1 small yellow squash cut into 1/4” slice
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 block of Halloumi cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken – I used the pre-cooked roasted chicken from Trader Joe’s or use a rotisserie chicken from your favorite grocery store, simply cut breast meat into strips.
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- a pinch of salt
Prepare farro according to package directions plus the salt while boiling.
Make the pickled vegetables. Pack radish and onion slices into a jar. Whisk vinegar, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, and ½ cup hot water in a small bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour brine over radish and onion slices; let cool. Cover and chill at least 1 hour before using.
Make the sauce. Whisk lime juice, gochujang, mayonnaise, ¼ cup grapeseed oil, 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. sesame oil, and remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar, pinch of salt in a small bowl.
Prepare the vegetables and Chicken. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium-high. Grill zucchini, squash, red pepper and halloumi. Cook/grill on both sides until tender and charred a little. Remove cooked vegetables and add chicken to the pan, lightly baste the chicken on both sides with the gochujang sauce. Continue to cook until heated through.
Time to eat! Divide farro among bowls, drizzle on a little gochujang sauce over the farro. Arrange the chicken, halloumi, zucchini, squash, red pepper and drained pickled radish and onions between the bowls. Serve with more of that delicious gochujang sauce – you’ll want to eat it on everything!
Keywords: Veggie Farro Bowl with Gochujang Chicken