- 1 cup strawberries – chopped small
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: coarse sugar for topping
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or simply smash the butter an flour together with your hands until mealy and crumbly in texture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, ricotta, milk and vanilla. Once combined pour into the dry mixture and fold gently, then add in the chopped strawberries and fold until the berries are mixed throughout the dough. Be careful not to over mix, stop once everything is just combined.
- Refrigerate dough for about an hour then preheat oven to 375F.
- Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, place batter on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. With the back of the spoon press down to flatten the top just a little. If using, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Note: These do expand, leave about 2 inches in between each biscuit.
- Bake 12- 15 minutes or until edges are just starting to brown.
- Serving suggestions – serve warm with ice cream for a dessert or with a little butter at brunch or breakfast.