- 1 lb uncooked shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 sweet onion – diced
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic – chopped (or about 1 tablespoon of minced garlic from the jar)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (a little less than 1 – 28oz can)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (+/- to your preference)
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- butter and olive oil
- 1 pound cooked penne pasta
- crunchy bread for serving
- In a large pot, boil salted water and cook pasta to al dente.
- In your largest deep skillet add a little butter and olive oil. Once hot cook shrimp until pink, about 2 minutes each side. Remove shrimp and save for later.
- In the same skillet add another pat of butter. Once hot add in the onion and garlic, sautee until tender then add in the tomato paste and brandy. Stir to combine and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in the heavy cream and stir. Add more if you would like a lighter sauce.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the pasta straight from the hot water into the prepared sauce. Stir to combine. If the sauce is too thick add in a little pasta water until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add in the fresh basil, toss to combine.
- Serve with parmesan and more basil if desired. We like to eat this pasta with warm, crunchy fresh bread.