- 2 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested (my favorite zester)
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries – smashed with a fork
For the glaze:
1 + 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
1/4 cup fresh raspberries – smashed wtih a fork
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until loght and fluffy, mix about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing between additions until well incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix well to combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, a small amounts at a time. Once all the dry ingredients are incorporated fold in the 1/2 c smashed raspberries. Note – Fold only a few times, this keeps the cookie from turning pink and leaves you with pretty swirls of raspberries.
- Tightly cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Or I will often improvise by putting the dough in the freezer for 1 – 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough (about 1 tablespoon for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake around 8-10 minutes. The top of the cookie may not look like it’s cooked completely. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes – they will continue to cook. Note – they go from done to burnt really quick, for my oven the perfect time is 8 min 30 seconds. Continue with the remaining dough.
Make the glaze: combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Fold in the remaining smashed raspberries, again don’t over mix.
Spoon about 1/2-teaspoon onto each cooled cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread. Let the glaze harden for about 1 hour…if you can wait that long (I can’t)!
Keywords: Raspberry Swirl Lemon Ricotta Cookies