- 2 cups quick-cook farro (also named 10-minute farro)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 large sweet onion – sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic – rough chopped
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes – cut in half
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt (+/- to your taste)
- a pinch red pepper flakes – to your taste
- olive oil
- 5 fresh basil leaves, torn or cut into strips
- Grated or shaved parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a medium pot begin to cook the farro in the chicken stock, then add the butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pot as you prepare them. Cut the onion into thin slices. Thinly slice garlic cloves as well and halve the tomatoes.
- Add salt, pepper flakes, and a drizzle of olive oil to the pot and simmer until the farro is cooked. The cooking water should be almost completely absorbed. If not, turn heat up to high for a minute to cook off the remaining water but be careful not to overcook the farro.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle farro with a little olive oil, sprinkle with basil, and parmesan. Serve immediately.
- To reheat the next day, place farro in a pot and add a little chicken stock. Stir over medium heat until warmed through. To reheat in the microwave add chicken stock to the farro, stir then heat in 1-minute increments, string in between, until warmed through.
Keywords: Farro, tomatoes, Parmesan, basil, red pepper flake