- 1 lb raw shrimp – cut into pieces
- 1 packet of Sazon Culantro and Achiote Seasoning – they have it at most large chain grocery stores
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves – chopped
- 1/2 an onion – chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- salt/ pepper to your taste
- 6–8 small tortillas (corn or flour)
- Lime wedges
- Optional Toppings: shredded lettuce and carrots, purple cabbage, cheese and/or avocado
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Pat the shrimp dry, dice into pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the Sazon spice packet and a drizzle of olive oil. Toss to combine and set to the side while you continue to prep.
- In a medium deep skillet heat some olive oil. Once hot, add onion, salt, pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 min. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Drain tomatoes and add to the skillet and season with a little more salt and pepper. Cook on medium-low for about 10 minutes. After 10 mins of cooking add the diced shrimp and stir to combine. Remove from heat after 5 minutes. Shrimp cook very fast, be careful not to overcook it.
- Prep your toppings. Slice cabbage, and avocados if using.
- Warm the tortillas. You can wrap them in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for a few seconds or place in a hot, dry skillet until tortillas start to brown.
- Assemble the tacos, I like to put the lettuce, cabbage, etc. on the bottom and shrimp on the top.
- serve with extra limes on the side.
- Add all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender (or place in a deep bowl and use an emulsion blender) and mix until smooth. If it’s a little too thick add a little more lime juice or olive oil until it reaches a pourable consistency.
Not sure if you want to buy the Sazon Culantro and Achiote Seasoning for just one dish? Don’t worry this seasoning goes great on chicken and in rice!
Keywords: Puerto Rican Shrimp Tacos