- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts)
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped, I like baby bellas
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (+/- to your taste)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 cup dry orzo pasta
- 1 + 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dry white wine ( Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- juice from 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep oven-safe skillet. Drizzle olive oil on the chicken then sprinkle on the oregano, basil, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add the chicken. Sear on both sides until golden, about 3-5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
3. To the same skillet, add the butter and mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, sautee about 3 minutes. Next, add the chopped shallot, and cook until fragrant about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and orzo, stirring continually and cooking until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and de-glaze the pan, scraping up all the brown bits in the pan. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, cook about 5 minutes, then add the cream, mustard, parmesan, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes, stir until the spinach has wilted.
4. Place the chicken and any juices left on the plate back into the skillet. Transfer to the oven and cook, uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Squeeze lemon over the cooked chicken and orzo. Plate and serve immediately.
Keywords: ONE PAN CHICKEN WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES, SPINACH AND MUSHROOM ORZO