- 6–10 large very ripe tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic – chopped small or sliced thin
- 1 or 2 stems of fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling. On the bottom of each tomato score an ‘X’ then carefully place the tomatoes into the boiling water for 1 minute only.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, fill a large bowl with ice water. Note: prepare this step before you place the tomatoes into the boiling water. After the tomatoes have boiled for 1 min place directly into the ice water. allow to cool for a couple of minutes then, starting at the ‘X’ peel off the skin.
- Empty the pot of water. Then in that same pot add a drizzle of olive oil and sautee the garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Then add in the peeled tomatoes and any juices that have accumulated, season generously with salt and pepper. Stir and mash with a fork for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are warmed through.
- If you have an immersion blender blend the tomatoes to the consistency of your liking, I like to leave it a little chunky. If you do not have an immersion blender simply use your blender or food processor to blend the tomatoes, then pour back into the pot.
- Add the whole basil stems into the sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Allow to simmer (uncovered) for about 15-30 minutes. The longer you can let it simmer the more the flavors will develop.
I served this sauce over angel hair pasta and grilled up some chicken breasts for protein. But this sauce goes great on any shape pasta of your choice and add in any protein you like!
Keywords: Italian Pasta Pomodoro Sauce