- 6 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 + 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp good-quality cocoa powder
- A pinch of fine salt
- 320 g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- Optional toppings: whipped cream, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 140° C or 250F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites and salt on a high-speed until frothy.
- Add the cornstarch and sugar gradually while continuing to whisk. Continue the process until all the sugar mixture has been incorporated.
- When the egg whites form stiff, glossy peaks (this usually takes about 10-15 minutes), gently fold in the cocoa powder. You should create nice swirls in the egg whites. Cocoa powder should not be completely incorporated.
- With a large spoon, spoon the egg whites onto the parchment-lined baking tray. The meringues should be about 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, turn off the oven and leave them to cool inside the oven with the door slightly open for 15 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
- Do not omit the cornstarch – the cornstarch stabilizes the egg whites
- Room temp eggs – they will whip up a lot quicker if you bring them to room temp first
- Do not shorten the baking time or omit the 15-minute cooldown. This is the key to a crunchy exterior and chewy interior.
Keywords: Giant Chocolate Meringues